Current affairs is one of the most significant part of most of the competitive examination.Current Affairs forms a part of General Awareness/ General Knowledge. Varieties of the question asked in general awareness are based on current affairs. Here we provide Top Current Affairs of 9 Aug 2020
PM Modi to launch modern A&N Islands-Chennai submarine telecom cable system
- PM Narendra Modi will launch the modern submarine telecom cable system connecting Andaman and Nicobar Islands with the mainland at Chennai tomorrow.
- He will dedicate the country’s longest and unique submarine cable system through videoconferencing from New Delhi.
- The underwater cables for a 2300 kilometer distance from Chennai to eight major islands in the Union territory have been laid by the public sector BSNL under the Universal Service Obligation Fund.
- The cost of the strategic project is 1224 crore rupees. It was executed in a record two years. With this, the islanders and their visitors can avail hi-speed, reliable internet connectivity.
Prime Minister launches financing facility of Rs. 1 Lakh Crore under Agriculture Infrastructure Fund
- PM Narendra Modi today launched a financing facility of one lakh crore rupees under the Agriculture Infrastructure Fund for agri-entrepreneurs, startups, agri-tech players and farmer groups for post-harvest management and nurturing farm assets.
- The Prime Minister launched the new Agriculture Infrastructure Fund through video conference. Agriculture Minister Narendra Singh Tomar and senior ministry officials were also present on the occasion
India’s Defence Ministry bans 101 import items in push for Atmanirbhar Bharat
- In a step ahead to Atmanirbhar Bharat initiative, the India ‘s Ministry of Defence has decided to impose a ban on 101 import items to boost indigenisation of defence production. Announcing the decision on Twitter, Defence Minister Rajnath Singh said the defence ministry has prepared a list of 101 items for which there would be an embargo on the import beyond the timeline indicated against them
- A separate budget head of Rs 52,000 crore has been created for domestic capital procurement in the current financial year to boost the defence industry in the country
Maharashtra partners with Google to start virtual classrooms
- While the ongoing Covid-19 crisis continues to keep students out of the physical classes, Chief Minister Uddhav Thackeray launched the Google Classroom initiative to provide blended and remote learning for school students in the state.
- The state government has partnered with Google India in the state-wide deployment of its Google for Education technology to enable 2.3 crore school students from 1 lakh government and private schools in the state and teachers to access the learning programmes combining classroom approach with online learning.
PM Modi Inaugurates Rashtriya Swachhata Kendra At Delhi’s Raj Ghat
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the Rashtriya Swachhata Kendra (RSK), an interactive experience centre on Swachh Bharat Mission.
- The inauguration was done on the occasion of the centenary celebrations of Mahatma Gandhi’s Champaran Satyagraha.
- The Rashtriya Swachhata Kendra is situated at Raj Ghat, the memorial of Mahatma Gandhi.
Mahinda Rajapaksa takes oath as Prime Minister of Sri Lanka for fourth time
- Mahinda Rajapaksa was sworn in as Sri Lanka’s prime minister at a historic Buddhist temple on 9 Aug, allowing the powerful Rajapaksa clan to consolidate their grip on power in the island nation.
- The 74-year-old Sri Lanka People’s Party (SLPP) leader, who polled over 500,000 individual preference votes — the highest ever recorded by a candidate in the country’s history of elections — took oath of office for the ninth Parliament at the sacred Rajamaha Viharaya in Kelaniya, a north Colombo suburb, according to an official statement.
Senior Congress leader Nandi Yellaiah passes away
- PicSenior Congress leader and former Vice President of Telangana Pradesh Congress Committee (TPCC) Nandi Yellaiah passed away . He was 85. Nandi Yellaiah died while taking treatment at the Nizam’s Institute of Medical Sciences in Hyderabad. He had tested positive for Corona virus 10 days ago and breathed his last this morning.
- Yellaiah was a six-time member of Lok Sabha and served as the MP of Nagarkurnool constituency till 2019. He was elected as the Lok Sabha MP from Siddipet five times before he won as the MP from Nagarkurnool in 2014. He was also a member of Rajya Sabha twice.
World Tribal Day being observed on 9 August
- International Day of the World’s Indigenous Peoples or World Tribal Day is being observed today. The day is aimed at promoting and protecting the rights of the world’s indigenous population.
- The date recognises the first meeting of the United Nations Working Group on Indigenous Populations in Geneva in 1982.