Current affairs is one of the most significant part of most of the competitive examination.Current Affairs forms a part of General Awareness/ General Knowledge. Infact most of the question asked in general awareness are based on current affairs. Here we provide Top Current Affairs of 7 Aug 2020
1)PM to inaugurate submarine optical fibre Cable connecting Chennai and Port Blair
- PM Narendra Modi will inaugurate and dedicate the submarine optical fibre Cable (OFC) connecting Chennai and Port Blair to the nation through video conferencing. The submarine cable will also connect Port Blair to Swaraj Dweep, Little Andaman, Car Nicobar, Kamorta, Great Nicobar, Long Island and Rangat.
- This connectivity will enable delivery of faster and more reliable mobile and landline telecom services to Andaman and Nicobar Islands, at par with other parts of India. At the present Andaman and Nicobar Islands have very weak telecom systems, that hamper communications with mainland and within the islands
2)Textiles Minister Smriti Irani inaugurates Celebration of 6th National Handloom Day 2020
- Textiles Minister Smriti Irani today inaugurated the Celebration of 6th National Handloom Day 2020. She also launched Mobile app and a portal to propagate the handloom industry.
- The Minister also launched India’s first Handloom Craft Village Sharan in Himachal Pradesh. She said, ten handloom craft villages are going to launchsoon to promote local weaved products.
- the handloom industry is the most ancient industry of India and plays a really significant role with in the country’s economy since the very beginning.
3)Country’s first Kisan Special Parcel Train flagged off from Devlali Railway Station of Maharashtra
- Minister of Railways Piyush Goyal and Agriculture Minister Narendra Singh Tomar today flagged off the country’s first Kisan Special Parcel Train or Kisan Rail through video link.
- The first train will transport material between Maharashtra’s Devlali and Bihar’s Danapur Railway station. The Kisan Rail will carry fruits and vegetables and can make stoppages at several stations and pick-up and deliver them.
- The train will cover a distance of 1 thousand 519 kilometres in around 32 hours. It will halt at Nasik Road, Manmad, Jalgaon, Bhusaval, Burhanpur, Khandwa, ltarsi, Jabalpur, Satna, Katni, Manikpur, Prayagraj Chheoki, Pandit Deendayal Upadhyay Nagar and Buxar.
4)Prime Minister Modi to inaugurate Rashtriya Swachhata Kendra on Aug 8
- PM Narendra Modi will inaugurate Rashtriya Swachhata Kendra, (RSK) tomorrow. The Kendra is an interactive experience centre on the Swachh Bharat Mission, which was first announced by Mr Modi on the occasion of centenary celebrations of Gandhiji’s Champaran Satyagraha in 2017.
- The Swachh Bharat Mission has transformed rural sanitation in India and has changed the behaviour of over 55 crore people from open defecation to using a toilet.
5)Drinking tap water now reaches 25 pct households under Jal Jeevan Mission: Jal Shakti Minister
- The Centre has initiated the Jal Jeevan Mission to provide safe and adequate drinking water to every rural household of the country by 2024 with the motto Har Ghar Jal. To achieve this goal, Prime Minister Narendra Modi created a new Jal Shakti Ministry last year in his second term.
- The Ministry of Jal Shakti has been implementing the mission in partnership with States with an aim to provide potable water in adequate quantities of prescribed quality through tap connections to every rural household in the country.
- After the implementation of Jal Jeevan Mission, drinking tap water now reaches 25 percent of households in the country.
- The mission is providing drinking water in every rural household, which will certainly improve the lives of rural population especially women and girls and save them from drudgery as well as water-borne diseases.
6)Exim Bank extends $250 million line of credit to Mozambique
- Export-Import Bank of India (Exim Bank) on Friday said it has extended a $250-million (about ₹1,870 crore) line of credit (LOC) to Mozambique for improving power supply quality in the country.
- The agreement to this effect was signed on August 3 through exchange between Saroj Khuntia, general manager, Exim Bank, and Adriano Isaias Ubisse, National Directorate of Treasury, Ministry of Economy and Finance, Mozambique.
7)Airtel Payments Bank, Bharti AXA Tie Up To Offer ‘Shop Insurance’ For Retailers, Merchants
- Airtel Payments Bank today announced that it will offer Shop Insurance exclusively for its Retailers and Merchants. Offered in partnership with Bharti AXA General Insurance, the Smart Plan Shop Package policy provides financial protection in case of damage to assets inside the shop due to fire and allied perils, burglary, etc. as covered in the product.
- A large number of Bank’s Retailers and Merchants are small and medium-size shop owners who are totally dependent on their shops for the livelihood. Any major accident due to fire, or burglary can lead to a big financial loss. The shop insurance policy would provide financial protection against these losses.
8)DIAT bags 1st prize in Smart India Hackathon 2020
- Defence Institute of Advanced Technology, DIAT, has bagged 1st prize in Smart India Hackathon, SIH, 2020, held from 1st to 3rd of this month at Noida Institute of Engineering and Technology, Uttar Pradesh. This 36- hour non-stop digital product building competition was a national level competition for software edition, which was organized jointly by the Ministry of Human Resource Development and All India Council for Technical Education. During the competition, Prime Minister Narendra Modi interacted with the participants in a live event.
- Six- member team of the institute received one lakh rupees as prize money for solving a technical problem using artificial intelligence.
9)Pradeep Kumar Joshi appointed as UPSC chairman
- Educationist Professor Pradeep Kumar Joshi was oappointed as the chairman of the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC), that conducts the civil services examination to select India’s bureaucrats and diplomats among others
- He will succeed Arvind Saxena who completes his term as UPSC chairman on 7 Aug
10)Former J&K Lt Guv Girish Chandra Murmu to be new CAG of India
- The government appointed Girish Chandra Murmu as the new Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) of India, a day after he resigned as the Lt Governor of J&K.
- Murmu will succeed Rajiv Mehrishi, a 1978-batch IAS officer of the Rajasthan cadre, who completes his term on August 7.
11)Pulitzer Prize-winning novelist Shirley Ann Grau passes away at 91
- Shirley Ann Grau, a Pulitzer Prize-winning fiction writer whose stories and novels told of both the dark secrets and the beauty of the Deep South, has died. She was 91.
- She won the 1965 Pulitzer Prize for her fourth book, “The Keepers of the House.”