Current affairs is one of the most significant part of most of the competitive examination.Current Affairs forms a part of General Awareness/ General Knowledge. Infact most of the question asked in general awareness are based on current affairs. Here we provide Top Current Affairs of 6 Aug 2020
1)US Signs $one Billion COVID-19 Vaccine Deal With Johnson & Johnson For 100 Million Doses
- The US government announced a new $one billion investment in a COVID-19 vaccine being developed by Johnson & Johnson, guaranteeing 100 million doses.
- J&J, via its subsidiary Janssen, had already received $456 million in March.
- The new money will allow the company to ramp up production so that doses are ready for shipping if and when the drug receives regulatory approval.
2)PM Narendra Modi to address ‘Conclave on Transformational Reforms in Higher Education under NEP(National Education Policy)
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will deliver the Inaugural Address at the ‘Conclave on Transformational Reforms in Higher Education under(NEP) National Education Policy’ .
- The conclave to be organised through video conference, will have sessions dedicated to significant aspects of education covered under the (NEP)National Education Policy, 2020. These include holistic, multidisciplinary and futuristic education, Quality Research, and Equitable use of technology for better reach in Education.
3)Prime Minister Narendra Modi terms 21st century an era of knowledge
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has termed the 21st century an era of knowledge. To make India a knowledge superpower, efforts have been made on learning, research and innovation. These efforts not only transformed the education sector but also created a robust education infrastructure in the country in the last six years
4) social security scheme for tendu leaf collectors launched by Chattisgarh
- Chhattisgarh government is introducing a social security scheme for the tribals engaged in the plucking of beedi leaves from the forests. The scheme is to be named after slain Congress leader Mahendra Karma, who was killed along side other frontline Congress leaders in a deadly Maoist ambush at Jheeram valley in Bastar Chhattisgarh in May 2013. About the scheme:-
- Titled as Shaheed Mahendra Karma samajik Suraksha Yojana, the scheme aims to benefit more than 12.50 lakh families engaged in the plucking of tendu ( beedi leaves) from the forests. The scheme envisages to provide a financial aid of Rs two lakh to the nominee or the heir in case of normal death of the head of the family of a registered tendupatta labourer if the deceased’s age is below 50 years.
- If the age of head of the tendupatta labourer’s family is between 50 and 59 years, then Rs 30,000 will be provided as financial aid in case of normal death, Rs 75,000 in case of accidental death, and Rs 75,000 in case of permanent disability cause in the accident and Rs 37, 5000 will be provided to the nominee or heir in case partial disability caused.
BANKING / ECONOMY NEWS
5)Reserve Bank of India’s monetary policy committee decides to unanimously leave policy repo rate unchanged at Four percent
- RBI the apex bank’s monetary policy committee has decided to unanimously leave the policy repo rate unchanged at 4 per cent. RBI will continue with the accommodative stance of monetary policy as long as necessary to revive growth, mitigate the impact of COVID-19, while ensuring that inflation remains within the target going forward.
Policy Repo Rate 4.00%
Reverse Repo Rate 3.35%
Marginal Standing Facility Rate 4.25%
Bank Rate 4.25%
6)Ajay Tyagi gets 18 months’ extension as SEBI chairman
- Ajay Tyagi has been given an 18 month extension as the chairman of markets regulator Securities and Exchange Board of India, SEBI. His term will continue till February 2022.
- Department of Personnel and Training in an order today said, the Appointments Committee of the Cabinet has approved the extension of Ajay Tyagi’s term for 18 months with effect from 1st September 2020 to 28th February 2022. Tyagi, a 1984 batch retired IAS officer of Himachal Pradesh cadre was appointed as the SEBI chairman in March 2017 for three years.
7)Manoj Sinha Appointed J&K Lieutenant Governor After GC Murmu Resigns
- Manoj Sinha, former Union Minister, is the new Lieutenant Governor of Jammu and Kashmir after Girish Chandra Murmu resigned from.the post.
- The big change, which took place on the first anniversary of the centre’s move to scrap special status to Jammu and Kashmir under Article 370 and turn it into two union territories, brings back a political face in the top post.
8)Indian-Origin Doctor Appointed New York City’s New Health Commissioner
- Dr Dave A Chokshi, a 39-year-old Indian-origin physician with expertise in public health, has been appointed as New York City’s new health commissioner by Mayor Bill de Blasio who praised him for playing a crucial role in addressing the unprecedented coronavirus challenges faced by the city.
- She was named Commissioner of the City’s Department of Health and Mental Hygiene after serving health commissioner Dr Oxiris Barbot resigned from her post.
9)Author, Activist, Filmmaker Sadia Dehlvi Dies In Delhi At 63
- Noted Delhi-based writer and activist Sadia Dehlvi has passed away at her home after a prolonged battle with cancer. She was 63.
- Ms Dehlvi, who hailed from the royal ‘Shama’ family, edited Bano, an Urdu women’s journal. Her grandfather, Hafiz Yusuf Dehlvi, founded Shama in 1938, which is an iconic Urdu film and literary monthly.