Current affairs is one of the most significant part of most of the competitive examination.Current Affairs forms a part of General Awareness/ General Knowledge. Infact most of the question asked in general awareness are based on current affairs. Here we provide Top Current Affairs of 4 Aug 2020
1)UK envoy to India Philip Barton promoted as new Foreign Office minister
- Mr. Barton takes up his new post from September 1 but the Foreign Office is yet to confirm details around his current posting, based in New Delhi. He had only last month presented his credentials as the British envoy to President Ram Nath Kovind in a virtual ceremony.
- The UK Foreign Office said Prime Minister Boris Johnson and Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab had approved the appointment of Mr. Barton as the Permanent Under-Secretary of the new ministry, which had been unveiled by the UK PM earlier this year as a new super department that will merge the UK’s Department for International Development (DfID) with the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO).
2)Thomas Schafer appointed as Skoda Auto’s new Chairman of the Board
- Skoda Auto has announced that Thomas Schäfer has taken over reins as its new Chairman of the Board with immediate effect. He succeeds Bernhard Maier, who served in the position for nearly five years
3)Bharat Air Fibre Internet Services Launched In Two Districts Of Maharashtra
- With the inauguration of the Bharat Air Fibre services, the residents of Akola and Washim districts of Maharashtra will get wireless internet connections.
- Inaugurated by Union Minister Sanjay Dhotre on Sunday, the services have been introduced by Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (BSNL) as part of the Centre’s digital India initiative. The aim of these services is to provide wireless connectivity in the range of 20 km from the BSNL locations.
4)Andhra Pradesh CM launches ‘E-Rakshabandhan’
- Chief Minister Y.S. Jagan Mohan Reddy launched ‘E-Rakshabandhan’, aimed at creating awareness among the public on cybercrime across the State.
- The Andhra Pradesh Police, Crime Investigation Department (CID), FM Radio, Cyber Crime Prevention Against Women and Children (CCPWC), Cyber Peace Foundation and other organisations are organising the month-long online awareness drive.
- Home Minister Mekathoti Sucharitha, A.P. Women’s Commission Chairperson Vasireddy Padma, Director-General of Police (DGP) D. Gautam Sawang, Additional DG (CID) P.V. Sunil Kumar and other officials attended the programme.
5)Govt formulates draft Defence Production and Export Promotion Policy 2020
- Defence Ministry has formulated a draft Defence Production and Export Promotion Policy 2020 (DPEPP-2020).
- The policy aims to provide impetus to self-reliance in defence manufacturing under the Atmanirbhar Bharat Scheme.
- The DPEPP-2020 is envisaged as overarching guiding document of Defence Ministry to provide a focused, structured and significant thrust to defence production capabilities of the country for self-reliance and exports.
6)I&B Minister Prakash Javadekar launches DD Assam 24×7 channel through video conferencing
- Information and Broadcasting Minister Prakash Javadekar today launched DD Assam 24×7 channel through video conferencing.
- Speaking on the occasion, Mr. Javadekar said, it was necessary for the State to have a new channel. He said, it is Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s vision that Northeast India will become an engine for growth for the country. Northeast region is full of resources and diversities.
7)Sashidhar Jagdishan to replace Aditya Puri as HDFC Bank’s new MD & CEO
- HDFC Bank Ltd, India’s biggest private lender, has announced that Sashidhar Jagdishan will be its Managing Director & CEO for a period of three years from his date of taking charge.
- He will take over the new role on October 27, 2020, under Section 35B of the Banking Regulation Act 1949.
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has approved the appointment of Mr. Jagdishan, HDFC Bank said in a filing with stock exchanges.
8)Revolutionary writer Vangapandu Prasada Rao passes away
- Revolutionary writer and eminent singer Vangapandu Prasada Rao, 77 years old, died of ill health in his residence located at Pedabondapalli of Parvatipuram mandal, Vizianagaram district. Prasada Rao who has been associated with Jana Natya Mandali since 1972 enthralled audience with his thought provoking songs and speeches.
- His famous song ‘Emi pillado Eldamostava’ brought laurels. He penned songs for nearly 30 movies including ‘Ardharatri Swatatantram’ and received many awards including ‘Kala-Ratna’ from AP government in the year 2017. Prasada Rao had been requesting the government to extend financial assistance to poets and writers since they were the victims of lockdown as well as Coronavirus threat. Parvatipuram former MP and writer DVG Sankara Rao recalled his association with him while hoping that his ideals would continue to inspire young generations