Current affairs is one of the most significant part of most of the competitive examination.Current Affairs forms a part of General Awareness/ General Knowledge. Infact most of the question asked in general awareness are based on current affairs. Here we provide Top Current Affairs of 1 Aug 2020
1)UAE starts up first Arab nuclear plant
- The oil-rich United Arab Emirates on Saturday announced the startup of its Barakah nuclear power plant, scoring another first for the Arab world.
- The announcement, coinciding with the Muslim holiday of Eid al-Adha, comes hot on the heels of the UAE’s launch of the Arab world’s first probe to Mars.
2)US Congressional committee passes bill to promote Mahatma Gandhi, Martin Luther King Jr’s legacies
- A key Congressional committee on Wednesday passed a bill, written by civil rights icon John Lewis, to promote the legacies of Mahatma Gandhi and Martin Luther King Jr.
- Cosponsored by Indian-American Congressman Ami Bera, the Gandhi-King Exchange Act was passed by the House Foreign Affairs Committee. The bill would establish an exchange initiative between the United States and India to study the work and legacies of Mahatma Gandhi and Martin Luther King Jr.
3)AIM launched ‘AIM-iCREST’, in partnership with Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and Wadhwani Foundation
- On July 30, 2020, NITI (National Institution for Transforming India) Aayog’s Atal Innovation Mission (AIM), has launched AIM iCREST – an Incubator Capabilities enhancement program for a Robust Ecosystem focused on creating high performing Startups in collaboration with Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and Wadhwani Foundation, which will provide global expertise.
- This is a first of its kind initiative for advancing innovation at scale in India.
4)Piyush Goyal Inaugurates CII National Digital Conference on “Easing Doing Business for Atmanirbhar Bharat”
- On 30th July 2020, Piyush Goyal, Union Minister of Commerce and Industry, inaugurated the National Digital Conference on “Easing Doing Business for Atmanirbhar Bharat” organised by the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) with the Department for Promotion of Investment and Internal Trade (DPIIT) to improve the business environment of India.
5)Ministry of Tribal Affairs receives SKOCH Gold Award
- SKOCH Gold Award has been awarded to the Ministry of Tribal Affairs (MoTA) for its “Empowerment of Tribals through IT enabled Scholarship Schemes” project. The project was launched to show Government of India’s commitment to realize the dreams of Digital India and bringing transparency as well as ease in the delivery of services. MoTA integrated the 5 Scholarship Schemes with DBT Portal under the guidance of DBT Mission in order to align with the larger vision of ‘Digital India’.
6)SIDBI, TransUnion CIBIL launched financial knowledge platform ”MSMESaksham” for MSMEs
- The Small Industries Development Bank of India (SIDBI) in association with TransUnion CIBIL has launched a comprehensive financial education and one-stop knowledge platform for micro, small and medium enterprises “MSMESaksham”, which will guide MSMEs (micro, small and medium enterprises) seeking quick access to finance and will also support them in managing their credit obligations.
- The portal will have a consolidated list of all the schemes launched by the Centre and state governments for MSMEs.
7)Kotak Mahindra Bank Launched a Two-Month Campaign, ‘Kona Kona Umeed’ with Offers, Discounts
- Kotak Mahindra Bank has launched a special two-month campaign, ‘Kona Kona Umeed’ with offers and discounts across its suite of products to make banking and shopping more rewarding for the customers so as to boost consumer demand and lift people’s enthusiasm during this pandemic situation.
- Kotak has also tied up with over 100 brands to provide exclusive deals to its customers in categories such as shopping, essentials, personal care, education and fitness among others.
8)Ivory Coast’s Defence Minister Hamed Bakayoko Appointed as PM
- The Republic of Ivory Coast President Alassane Ouattara has appointed Defence Minister Hamed Bakayoko(55 years old) as Prime Minister(PM)after acting as an interim PM since the sudden death of Amadou Gon Coulibaly on July 8, 2020. Hamed Bakayoko will also hold his position as defence Minister.
9)Great Eastern Shipping Company Ltd Appointed Former RBI Governor Urjit Patel as Additional & Independent Director
- Great Eastern Shipping Company Ltd announced that its board has appointed former Reserve Bank of India(RBI) Governor Urjit Patel as an additional and independent director for a term of 5 years, effective fromAugust 01, 2020.
- He was appointed as the Chairman of the Governing Body of the National Institute of Public Finance and Policy (NIPFP) for a 4 year term on June 22, 2020.
- He has authored a book titled ‘Overdraft: Saving the Indian Saver’. The book will be published by HarperCollins India.
10)Amar Singh, Rajya Sabha member and former SP leader, passes away
- Rajya Sabha MP and former Samajwadi Party leader Amar Singh passed away. He was undergoing treatment in Singapore since past few months.
- Amar Singh was the general secretary of the Samajwadi Party and was later expelled from the party by chief Mulayam Singh Yadav on February 2, 2010. He was elected to the Rajya Sabha in year 2016 with support from Samajwadi Party and was reinstated as one of the general secretaries of the party in October 2016.
11)Folk musician and Padma Shri awardee Sonam Tshering Lepcha died at 92 in Kalimpong, West Bengal
- On July 30, 2020 Folk Musician, composer, Lyricist and Padmashree awardee Sonam Tshering Lepcha passed away at the age 92, at Kalimpong, West Bengal due to old age ailments. He was born on 3rd January, 1928 at Bong Busty, Kalimpong, West Bengal. He played a major role in reviving and promoting the Lepcha Culture which is one of the indegenious culture of Sikkim.