Current affairs is one of the most significant part of most of the competitive examination. . Current Affairs forms a part of General Awareness/ General Knowledge. Infact most of the question asked in general awareness are based on current affairs. Here we provide daily Current Affairs 25 July 2020
1)ADB and GCF join hands towards ‘green recovery’ on the impacts of COVID-19 disease
- On July 22, 2020, The Asian Development Bank (ADB) and the Green Climate Fund (GCF) agreed to partner toward the “Green Recovery”
- This is to help hands for the people who are facing the harsh economic impact due to COVID-19 pandemic.
- They agreed to strengthen collaboration on non-sovereign operations while ensuring GCF’s processes are as flexible as possible to foster at-scale financing.
2)‘COVID-19 Law Lab’ Initiative launched to provide legal information worldwide
- i.The World Health Organization (WHO) along with other key bodies had launched COVID-19 Law Lab(www.COVIDLawLab.org).
- ii.It is a database of laws that countries had implemented in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- iii.The lab is a joint project of the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), WHO, the Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS (UNAIDS) and the O’Neill Institute for National and Global Health Law at Georgetown University.
3)Prakash Javadekar virtually launched piloting of National Transit Pass System (NTPS); undertaken in MP & Telangana
- i.On July 23, 2020, Union Minister of Environment, Forest and Climate Change, Prakash Keshav Javadekar virtually launched the piloting of the National Transit Pass System (NTPS) from Indira Paryavaran Bhawan in New Delhi, as another step towards Digital India Movement.
- ii.The pilot project will be functional in Madhya Pradesh (MP) and Telangana, and by this Diwali it will be operational in pan India.
- iii.NTPS will replace manual paper-based transit system by online transit system enabling ease of movement of timber, bamboo and other minor forest produce.
4)The Navy’s largest Solar plant was inaugurated at the INA, Ezhimala
- On July 22, 2020, the Vice Admiral Anil Kumar Chawal, Flag Officer Commanding-in-chief, Southern Naval Command (SNC), virtually employed the 3 MegaWatt (MW) largest Solar Power Plant at the Indian Naval Academy, Ezhimala, Kerala.
- The project is a part of the Indian Government’s initiative of National Solar Mission, to achieve 100 GigaWatt (GW) of solar Power by 2022.
- -2 MegaWatt Solar Power Plant Inaugurated at Naval Station Karanja, Uran
- Indian Navy Vice Admiral, Flag Officer Commanding – in – Chief of Western Naval Command, Ajith Kumar virtually inaugurated the first 2 MegaWatt Solar Capacity Solar Power Plant.
- The Power Plant was set up at the Western Naval Station, Karanja in Maharashtra’s Uran.
5)India’s maternal mortality ratio declined to 113 in 2016-18: Registrar General’s Sample Registration System (SRS)
- i.In accordance with the “Special Bulletin on Maternal Mortality in India 2016-18”, released by the Office of the Registrar General’s Sample Registration System (SRS), the Maternal Mortality Ratio (MMR) in India has declined to 113 in 2016-18 from 122 in 2015-17 and 130 in 2014-2016 andd almost 100 deaths lesser than in the period of 2007-2009.
- ii.States have been categorized into three groups namely, Empowered Action Group (EAG) States, Southern States and Other States during the survey.
- iii.The southern States registered a lower MMR — Andhra Pradesh (65), Telangana (63), Karnataka (92), Kerala (43) and Tamil Nadu (60) as compared to states of Assam & EAG.
- iv.In the category of other status Punjab has a maximum MMR of 129.
6)Rs 8767 crore Approved for 81 projects under Special Window for Affordable and Mid Income Housing Investment Fund I(SWAMIH)
- i.Union Minister for Finance & Corporate Affairs, Nirmala Sitharaman informed that so far Rs 8767 crore has been approved for 81 projects under Special Window for Affordable and Mid Income Housing (SWAMIH) Investment Fund I.
- ii.The approved projects will enable the completion of almost 60,000 homes across India.
- iii.The announcement was made when the performance of SWAMIH was reviewed with Secretaries of Ministries of Finance and senior management team of the State Bank of India, SBI Capital Markets Limited and SBICAPS Ventures Limited (SVL).
7)Nitin Jairam Gadkari Launches Mentoring Platform ‘RestartIndia’ to Support MSME Sector
- On 23dr July 2020, Nitin Jairam Gadkari, Union Minister of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprise(MoMSME), launched www.restartindia.com, a mentoring platform.It was initiated jointly by Muthoot Fincorp and INKtalks to support the MSME sector to restart the business across the nation.
- The RestartIndia platform provides global management information and expertise to the common people and connects them to the experts and professionals from various fields, that are in line with the self-dependent India (Atmanirbhar Bharat) project.
8)Partha Pratim Sengupta becomes new MD & CEO of IOB
- Government of India has appointed Partha Pratim Sengupta as the new Managing Director (MD) & Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Indian Overseas Bank (IOB). He will replace Karnam Sekar, who retired from the post of the MD and CEO at IOB on June 30, 2020. Sengupta has been appointed upto a date of attaining the age of superannuation, December 31, 2022, or until further orders.
9)Tata AIA Life Ltd appoints Naveen Tahilyani as its MD & CEO
- Naveen Tahilyani has been appointed by Tata AIA Life Limited as its Managing Director (MD) & Chief Executive Officer (CEO). He will take over from the current CEO Rishi Srivastava, who has been appointed as chief executive officer, group agency distribution, AIA Group, Hong Kong. Tahilyani was roped in by Axis Bank as group executive- head of banking operations and transformation.
10)ICICI Lombard in partnership with PhonePe launched Hospital Daily cash benefit
- i.ICICI Lombard in partnership with PhonePe has launched Hospital Daily cash benefit under its Group Safeguard Insurance policy, a sachet-based group insurance product.
- ii.It is a customized hospitalisation policy that allows PhonePe users to get an assured amount if they are hospitalised due to injury or illnesses(including COVID-19).
- iii.The hospital bills are not required for the claim, a discharge certificate will be sufficient in most cases for the claim processing.
11)RBI releases the Financial Stability Report, July 2020
- The Reserve Bank of India today released the Financial Stability Report (FSR) that “reflects the collective assessment of the sub-committee of the Financial Stability and Development Council (FSDC) on risks to financial stability and the resilience of the financial system in the context of contemporaneous issues relating to development and regulation of the financial sector.”
BOOKS AND AUTHORS
12)A book titled “The Endgame” authored by Hussain Zaidi
- S Hussain Zaidi,a well known crime writer has recently written a novel named “The Endgame”.It was published by the HarperCollins India.The book speaks about the politics, betrayal, and unimaginable terror.
- “Black Friday”, “Mafia Queens of Mumbai”, “Dongri to Dubai” and “Byculla to Bangkok” are other notable books written by him. He was the associate producer of “Terror in Mumbai”,a famous HBO documentary based on 26/11 terror attacks.