Current affairs is one of the most significant part of most of the competitive examinations like Banking ,ssc , Insurance ,Upsc . Current Affairs forms a part of General Awareness/ General Knowledge. Varieties of the question asked in general awareness are based on current affairs. Here we provide Daily Current Affairs of 16 Aug 2020
74th Independence Day of India was celebrated for first time at New York’s Times Square
- The tricolour was hoisted for the first time at the iconic Times Square in New York on 15 August to celebrate India’s 74th Independence Day. India’s Consul General in New York, Randhir Jaiswal hoisted the Indian flag during a special commemoration of Independence Day at Times Square organised by the Federation of Indian Associations.
Indo-Tibetan Border Police, (ITBP) launched fit India freedom run at all its border posts
- ITBP has launched a fit India freedom run at all its border posts and formations in the country. The campaign is aimed at generating awareness among the masses for fit India.
- During this campaign its troops and officers will undertake a 10 kilometer walk. The campaign started on 15th August, under the aegis of the MoS. It will culminate on 2nd October this year, on Gandhi Jayanti
India sends 58 metric tonnes of emergency humanitarian aid, food supplies to Beirut
- India handed over to Lebanon 58 metric tonnes of emergency humanitarian aid, including crucial medical and food supplies, in the wake of the deadly explosion that ravaged the Lebanese capital of Beirut.
Prime Minister announced ‘Project Dolphin’ for conservation of Gangetic Dolphins
- Narendra Modi on the occasion of the 74th Independence Day announced ‘Project Dolphin’ to give a stronger impetus for conservation of the species in the lines of Project Tiger and Project Elephant.
Jharkhand Government unveils new State logo displaying national emblem and ‘Palash flower’ (Butea monosperma)
- Jharkhand Government unveiled the new State logo at Ranchi on the eve of 74th Independence Day.
- The State’s logo is circular in size with the Emblem of India placed at the centre. The National Emblem is enclosed in concentric circles depicting Jharkhand’s culture and its abundant natural resources.
President approves 84 Gallantry Awards and other decorations to personnel of Armed and Paramilitary Forces
- President Shri Ram Nath Kovind, who is also the Supreme Commander of the Armed Forces, has approved 84 awards and decorations to the Armed Forces personnel and members of the Paramilitary Forces. The awards include one Kirti Chakra, nine Shaurya Chakras, five Bar to Sena Medals (Gallantry), 60 Sena Medals (Gallantry), four Nao Sena Medals (Gallantry)and five Vayu Sena Medals (Gallantry).
- The President has also approved 19 Mention-in-Despatches to the Army Personnel for their significant contributions in different military operations which include eight posthumous for ‘Operation Meghdoot’ and ‘Operation Rakshak
World Health Organization (WHO)’s Chief Scientist Soumya Swaminathan honoured with TN CM’s special award
- World Health Organisation’s chief scientist Soumya Swaminathan was conferred with the Tamil Nadu Chief Minister’s special award, in recognition of her advisory role in combating the coronavirus COVID-19 pandemic in the state.
Captain Cool MS Dhoni and Suresh Raina announce retirement from International Cricket
- Former Indian World Cup winning captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni, on August 15, announced retirement from international cricket. The Ranchi-born wicket-keeper batsman who is also known as ‘Captain cool’ made his debut for India under the captaincy of of the current BCCI President Sourav Ganguly in 2004
- His teammate Suresh Raina, too, announced his retirement from international cricket.