Chinese navy becomes world’s largest navy
- China, home to the world’s largest navy, is looking to set up new PLA bases in the Indo-Pacific region. This was revealed by the Pentagon in a detailed report to the US Congress on September 1, 2020.
- As per Pentagon’s report, China is looking to establish PLA facilities at the naval bases of at least 12 nations including Pakistan, Myanmar and Sri Lanka. The report comes amid the COVID-19 pandemic, which was detected first in Wuhan, China in 2019
Water Heroes Contest 2.0 launched
- Water Heroes Contest: Jal Shakti Ministry has launched ‘Water Heroes – Share Your Stories’ Contest to reach out to people on the important subject of water conservation and management. The contest will be held from September 1, 2020 to August 31, 2021.
- The Ministry will consider a maximum of 10 entries for awards every month. All the selected entries will be awarded a cash prize or Rs 10,000 each and a certificate.
Union government approves signing of MoU between India and Japan to promote cooperation in Textile Sector
- The Union Government has approved the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and Japan in order to improve the quality and testing of Indian textiles and clothing for the Japanese market.
- The Cabinet chaired by PM Modi approved the signing of MoU between M/s Nissenken Quality Evaluation Centre, Japan, and Textiles Committee, India
India jumps 4 places to rank 48 on Global Innovation Index 2020 Switzerland has bagged the first spot
- The Global Innovation Index 2020 released on September 2, 2020, has shown India jumped four places to rank at the 48th position. The index has been compiled by the World Intellectual Property (WIPO) along with INSEAD business school and Cornell University.
- The Global Innovation Index (GII) presents the latest global innovation trends and the annual innovation ranking of 131 economies. By moving up 4 positions since 2019, India became the third most innovative lower-middle-income economy in the world
IISc Bengaluru tops among 63 Indian Institutes
- United Kingdom(UK) based Times Higher Education(THE) released the World University Rankings 2021.Indian Institute of Science(IISc) Bengaluru ranked under the 301-350 group ranking, tops among the 63 Indian institutions which were qualified for the THE rankings. IIT, Ropar which is under the 351-400 group rankings and IISc Bengaluru are the only Indian institutes in the world top 400 Universities.
Tamil Nadu appoints India’s 1st-ever woman ambulance driver
- Tamil Nadu has appointed India’s first-ever woman ambulance driver, M Veeralakshmi under a new initiative by CM Palaniswami. M Veeralakshmi was appointed as the driver of one of the newly launched ‘108’ ambulances.
Minister RK Singh launches “Green Term Ahead Market”
- Minister of State (MoS) (Independent Charge) for Power and New & Renewable Energy, Raj Kumar Singh launched the Pan-India Green Term Ahead Market (GTAM) in New Delhi virtually, for electricity. GTAM is the World’s First Exclusive Product Market for the renewable energy sector.
Table Tennis player Poulami Ghatak retires
- Poulami Ghatak, India’s ace Table Tennis player, decided to retire silently from the sport. In was in January 2020 that the decision was made, however, it has become publicly known only now.
- Poulami Ghatak while informing about her retirement from the sport which made her a household name mentioned that she never formally announced her decision because she didn’t think anyone will be interested in knowing it.
Coal India to invest Rs 1.22 lakh crores on 500 projects by 2023-24
- The Coal India Limited is to invest Rs 1.22 lakh crores to develop 500 projects related to coal evacuation, infrastructure, project development, exploration and clean coal technologies.
Adani Group to Acquire 74% Stake in Mumbai International Airport Limited
- Adani Airport Holdings Limited(AAHL), holding company of Adani Group for its airports business (and a subsidiary of Adani Enterprises Limited-“AEL”:collectively called “Adani”) has entered into an agreement to acquire 74% in Mumbai International Airport Limited(MIAL) or Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj International Airport. Through the agreement, AAHL will acquire the debt of current promoter GVK group and buy out minority shareholders.