Current affairs is one of the most significant part of most of the competitive examinations like Banking ,ssc , Insurance ,Upsc . Current Affairs forms a part of General Awareness/ General Knowledge. Varieties of the question asked in general awareness are based on current affairs. Here we provide Daily Current Affairs of 26 August 2020
World Health Organization declares Africa free of polio
- World Health Organization has declared Africa free of polio, a landmark in a decades-long campaign to eradicate the notorious disease around the world. This was announced by WHO Regional Director of Africa, Dr Matshidiso Moeti. She described this as a historic day for Africa.
17th meeting of India-Vietnam Joint Commission held
- The 17th meeting of the India-Vietnam Joint Commission on Trade, Economic, Scientific and Technological Cooperation was held via video-conference today.
- It was co-chaired by External Affairs Minister Dr. S. Jaishankar and his Vietnamese counterpart Pham Binh Minh. During the meeting, both sides reviewed the recent developments in India-Vietnam Comprehensive Strategic Partnership and discussed the future trajectory of their wide-ranging engagement. They agreed to add new momentum to the economic and defence engagement between the two countries and to explore closer cooperation in emerging areas such as civil nuclear energy, space, marine sciences and new technologies.
DoPPW to integrate e- Pension Payment Order with Digi Locker
- The Department of Pension & Pensioners’ Welfare, DoPPW has decided to integrate the electronic Pension Payment Order, e-PPO generated through PFMS application of Controller General of Accounts, with Digi Locker, to enhance Ease of Living of Central Government Civil Pensioners.
- This system will enable any Pensioner to obtain an instant print-out of the latest copy of their PPO, from their Digi Locker account.
Tamil Nadu women top the list of MUDRA loan scheme
- According to the data provided by Ministry of Finance to Rajya Sabha, Tamil Nadu has topped the list of Pradhan Mantri Mudra Yojana (PMMY) in availing loans to women. It was followed by West Bengal and Karnataka. According to the data produced by the Ministry of Finance, around 15 crore loans amounting to Rs 4.78 lakh crores were disbursed to women borrowers since the inception of Pradhan Mantri Mudra Yojana.
RBI projects India’s growth rate at (-) 4.5 per cent for 20-21
- The Reserve Bank of India has projected the country’s growth rate at (-) 4.5 percent for 20-21. In an annual report released by the bank on August 25, 2020, the global growth rate has been projected between (-) 6.0 percent and (-) 7.6 percent.
- The report also informed that the expected headline inflation will remain elevated in the current year but is likely to ease in the second half of the fiscal. While mentioning that it is difficult to accurately assess the economic impact of COVID-19 pandemic as the dynamics have still been evolving.
NABARD rolls out Debt and Credit Guarantee Product
- The National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development has revealed a dedicated debt and credit guarantee product named as “Structured Finance and Partial Guarantee Program for Non-Banking Finance Companies (NBFC)-Micro Finance Institutions (MFIs)”. The newly launched product seeks to offer undisturbed flow of credit to the last mile in rural areas hit by the pandemic.
Indian Table Tennis Star Poulomi Ghatak retires
- The table tennis star Poulomi Ghatak retired quietly. She had represented India at the Commonwealth Games in 2006 and Common wealth championships between 2000 and 2008. She entered Olympics at Sydney for the first time when she was 16.
- Poulomi has now joined her husband Soumyadip Roy to coach younger players at their academy that was inaugurated in June, 2019.
England’s James Anderson becomes first-ever fast bowler to take 600 Test wickets
- England’s James Anderson has created history by becoming the first-ever fast bowler to take 600 wickets in Test cricket. The 38-year-old achieved the feat during England’s third test against Pakistan at the Ageas Bowl cricket ground in Southampton on August 25, 2020
Former Congo President Pascal Lissouba passes away
- Former President of the Republic of Congo, Pascal Lissouba passed away. He became the minister of agriculture in 1960 after Congo became an independent country. He served as the president from 1992 to 1997. He served as the Prime minister under the Presidency of Alphonse Massamba Debat. The high court of Justice in the Republic of Congo sentenced Pascal Lissouba in absentia to 30 years forced labour for treason and corruption in 2001.