Current affairs is one of the most significant part of most of the competitive examination. . Current Affairs forms a part of General Awareness/ General Knowledge. Infact most of the question asked in general awareness are based on current affairs. Here we provide daily Current Affairs 24 July 2020
1)Turkmenistan gets observer status in World Trade Organization
- World Trade Organization (WTO) General Council has granted the “Observer” status to the central Asian country Turkmenistan. After receiving the observer status from WTO, Turkmenistan has become the last former Soviet republic to establish formal ties with the trade body. Turkmenistan has become the 25th observer of the organization.
2)Nicaragua becomes the 87th Country to sign the International Solar Alliance Framework Agreement
- On 23rd July 2020, The Republic of Nicaragua became the 87th country to sign the International Solar Alliance(ISA) Framework Agreement, an initiative to promote sustainable energy, led by India.
- H. E. Jaime Hermida Castillo, Permanent Representative to the UN of the Republic of Nicaragua, signed the Agreement at the Permanent Mission of India to the United Nations, New York.
3)Ravi Shankar Prasad Represented India in the G20 Digital Economy Ministers Virtual Meeting Hosted by Saudi Arabia
- On 22nd July 2020, The Union Minister of Electronics and Information Technology represented India in the virtual meeting of the G20 Digital Economy Minister under the presidency Saudi Arabia.
- About G20 or Group of Twenty:
- Members– Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Canada, China, France, Germany, India, Indonesia, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Republic of Korea, Russia, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, Turkey, United Kingdom (UK), United States (US), and European Union (EU).
- Spain is a permanent guest invitee to the G20 meetings.
4)Mukesh Ambani, fifth-richest Man in the World with Net Worth $75 billion: Forbes Real-Time Billionaires List
- Reliance Industries Limited (RIL) Chairman & CEO Mukesh Ambani (63), became the world’s fifth-richest man in the world with an estimated wealth of 77.3 billion USD, according to the real-time ranking of billionaires by Forbes.
- Mukesh Ambani is just behind Mark Zuckerberg net worth of 88.3 billion USD.
- He sustains as the wealthiest Indian
- He is the only Asian Tycoon in the elite list of the world’s top 10 richest people as of July 2020.
5)Sonu Sood launches ‘Pravasi Rojgar’ app to help migrants
- Bollywood actor, Sonu Sood has launched ‘Pravasi Rojgar’ app to help migrants to find job opportunities across India. The initiative will be supported by community outreach in the villages to find the right employment opportunities for migrant workers in different parts of the country.
- The app features job opportunities from over 500 reputed companies related to construction, apparel, healthcare, engineering, BPOs, security, automobile, e-commerce and logistics sectors.
- Apart from this, the platform will also offer specific job training programmes like spoken English.
- Support centres, with a 24-hour helpline, have been set up in seven cities including Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore, Hyderabad, Coimbatore, Ahmedabad and Thiruvananthapuram.
6)AIIMS Nagpur launched smart wristband to tracks Covid-19 patients
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), Nagpur has designed and developed a ‘smart wristband’ for effective tracking and monitoring of Covid-19 positive and suspect patients.
- The new device, a wristband is designed in collaboration with IIT Jodhpur and IIT Nagpur looks to overcome the limitations of existing online mobile apps used for tracking and monitoring coronavirus patients.
About ‘smart wristband’:
- This device will operate on a technology that is more effective than the GPS system.
- The data collected through wristband will be collected and archived on cloud facilitating monitoring by health workers from a distance.
- Tracking through mobile apps is limited to the quarantined person’s movement.
- There is no mechanism at present to track symptoms which is the user’s subjective self-assessment.
- The existing mobile apps use GPS or cell tower triangulation methods for tracking location with an accuracy that may vary sometimes up to a radius of 1.5 to 2 kilometres.
BOOKS AND AUTHORS
7)The book titled “The Pandemic Century”, by British Medical Historian Mark Honigsbaum
- The Pandemic Century, A History of Global Contagion from the Spanish Flu to Covid-19”, by the british medical historian Mark Honigsbaum covers 10 outbreaks in the past 100 years, dating from the Spanish Flu (1918) to the present day Coronavirus (2019). The book is published by Penguin Publishers.
8)Bank of Baroda rolls out ‘Insta Click Savings Account’
- India’s third-largest public sector bank, Bank of Baroda (BoB) has launched ‘Insta Click Savings Account’, a 100 per cent paperless digital self-assisted online savings account.
About Insta Click Savings Account:
- Insta Click Savings Account uses a new form of digital KYC (know-your-customer) and Aadhaar-based OTP (one-time personal identification number) authentication of the customer, which can be operated from the bank’s website, through mobile phone, IPad, laptop, and PC.
- The account is activated in real-time, which means the customer can start transacting, using the Baroda M Connect Plus application with the MPIN received on the mobile number, immediately.
- The product also offers customers the option to subscribe to a wide range of digital channels like mobile banking, Internet banking, UPI (unified payments interface), and debit card.
9)Airtel Payments Bank partners NSDC to train rural youth for financial services jobs
- Airtel Payments Bank Ltd has collaborated with National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC) to train and skill young people in rural areas on financial services, enabling them to find jobs and become entrepreneurs in the sector, the payments bank said in a statement on Wednesday.
- The partnership aims at designing and conducting targeted skill development programs for rural youth that will focus on adoption of tools to boost online banking and digital financial services at a time when the smartphone market is growing and usage of 4G has increased due to stay-at-home restrictions.
10)Alok Misra becomes new CEO & Director of MFIN
- Microfinance Institutions Network (MFIN) has appointed Alok Misra as its new Chief Executive Officer & Director. The appointment will be effective from 1st August 2020. Dr Misra takes over from the present CEO, Harsh Shrivastava, who has put down his papers after spending over 2 years at MFIN.