1)Indian, US warships to conduct exercise in strong strategic signal to China amidst border confrontation
- In a strong strategic signal to China amidst the military confrontation in eastern Ladakh, a US carrier strike group led by aircraft carrier USS Nimitz is set to conduct an exercise with Indian warship near the Andaman and Nicobar archipelago
- The PASSEX (passing exercise) between the two navies, which have built “interoperability” through a series of “Malabar” and other exercises, comes after the mammoth nuclear-powered USS Nimitz and her accompanying warships entered the Indian Ocean by crossing the Malacca Strait on Saturday.
2)Govt looks to attract tourists by pitching India as land of Buddha
- As more states open up to tourists with a string of safeguards in place, the tourism ministry is lending a helping hand with its “Dekho Apna Desh” campaign and pitching India as the land of Buddha.
3)Civil rights legend Rep. John Lewis dead at 80
- John Lewis, the civil rights warrior who died Friday aged 80, excelled at what he liked to call “good trouble” — standing up against racial injustice to forge a better United States.
4)Vodafone Idea pays additional ₹1,000 crore to govt towards AGR dues.
- Telecom firm Vodafone Idea on Saturday said it paid additional ₹1,000 crore to Department of Telecommunications on 17 July as part of its Adjusted Gross Revenue (AGR) dues.
- “The Company had earlier deposited ₹6,854 crore in 3 tranches. The Company has thus paid an aggregate amount of ₹7,854 crore towards the AGR dues.
5)United Arab Emirates launches “Hope” mission to “Mars”
- A mission titled as “Hope” has been launched to “Mars” by the United Arab Emirates. With the help of mission, UAE aims to provide a complete picture of the Martian atmosphere for the first time, studying daily and seasonal changes. An unmanned “Hope” Probe blasted off from Japan’s Tanegashima Space Center at 1:58 a.m. (UAE time) for a seven-month journey to the red planet and is expected to enter Mars orbit by February 2021, which also marks the 50th anniversary of the unification of the UAE, an alliance of seven emirates. Rest of the journey of “Hope” would be tracked by the Mohammed Bin Rashid Space Centre (MBRSC) in Dubai.
- The Hope probe constitutes three different instruments namely an imager and two spectrometers. The “Imager” will facilitate detailed images of the planet’s surface while all three will provide data to the scientists in order to track what ingredients are located where in the atmosphere of Mars. The probe will not land on the Red Planet, but instead orbit it for a whole Martian year i.e. for 687 days.
6)Mobile App of “PM Street Vendor’s AtmaNirbhar Nidhi” launched
- The mobile application of PM Street Vendor’s AtmaNirbhar Nidhi (PM SVANidhi) has been launched. It aims to offer user friendly digital interface to the Lending Institutions (LIs) as well as to their field functionaries in order to source and process loan applications to the street vendors under the scheme. The launch of the mobile app is a step towards boosting the use of digital technology and will ensure maximum coverage of the scheme.
- The mobile app will promote paper-less digital accessing of micro-credit facilities by the Street Vendors and will give impetus to the implementation strategy of the PM SVANidhi scheme. The application have various features such as vendor search in the survey data, e-KYC of applicants, processing of applications, as well as real time monitoring.
7)ICAT launches an e-portal “ASPIRE”
- An e-Portal named “Automobile Solutions Portal for Industry, Research & Education (ASPIRE)” has been launched by the International Centre for Automotive Technology (ICAT). The portal has been launched to improve the technological capability of Indian automotive sector with the help of exchange of knowledge & expertise, to make them self reliant and to enable the growth of automobile sector including overall socio-economic progress of the country.
- ASPIRE will act as an one stop solution and will enable the Indian auto industry, R&D institutions and academia to come together for R&D, technology development, expert opinions etc. on issues involving technology advancements. The portal is a part of strategy devised by the Department of Heavy Industry (DHI), Government of India, under the leadership of Secretary, Heavy Industries, to promote innovation, R&D and product development in India.
8)UP govt launches employment scheme for SCs:Navin Rojgar Chhatri Yojana’
- Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath launched Navin Rojgar Chhatri Yojana for an all round development of the Scheduled Castes.
9)Mandela Prize awarded to Greek and Guinean rights activists
- The 2020 Nelson Mandela Prize, which is awarded every five years and recognizes those who dedicate their lives to the service of humanity, will go this year to Marianna Vardinoyannis, of Greece, and Doctor Morissana Kouyaté, of Guinea
10)Lewis Hamilton wins Hungarian Grand Prix with perfect drive to take F1 Championship lead
- Lewis Hamilton wins third-consecutive Hungarian GP; Verstappen and Bottas second and third
- Verstappen found the barrier on his way to the grid in wet conditions, but Red Bull fix his car in time
- Hamilton takes five-point lead in world championship after back-to-back wins